Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Death Star and Moon Cakes

A couple of weeks ago, I woke up one morning and in my groggy, blurred vision state, I thought the Death Star was outside my window! If you don't know what that is, you must be a girl with no older brothers. :) It was actually just a big advertising balloon. Still, it was a little startling first thing in the morning.
 
So last weekend was the Chinese Mid Autumn Festival. I don't know too much about the history behind it, you can read about it here: http://www.chinavoc.com/festivals/Midautumn.htm . I just know that we get a few days vacation and people give us Moon Cakes. Moon Cakes are these small pastries that can be filled with nuts, fruit, or eggs. Really, you should open the link and read about them. :) The outer cake part kind of tastes like the outside of  a Fig Newton, but there's not much of it to snack on. Last year was my first experience with them, and it wasn't really something I was looking forward to having again. This year I was given a beautiful box from the university where I work. So I tried one just to make sure. It was filled with a red bean paste. I wasn't a fan. :)

1 comment:

  1. *waves hand

    "These aren't the moon-cakes you're looking for...."

    ReplyDelete